Sunday, July 1, 2007

Soft Tofu Restaurant (Korean)


So Kong Dong (Soft Tofu Restaurant)
130 Main Street, Fort Lee, NJ 07024
$8 - $12

When we pulled into the small parking lot of So Kong Dong, I knew immediately that I was in for a treat. The line for people waiting for a table spilled out into the parking lot. The hostess went around to each waiting party and took people's order so their food would be ready once they were seated. I was surprised to see the menu only offered a variety of tofu soup and beef ribs. Where was the Bibimbop and Jap Chae?

So Kong Dong specializes in spicy, tofu soup. I got the seafood, beef tofu soup and an order of beef short ribs (Kalbi). The tofu soup was nothing I had ever tasted in Manhattan's Korean Town on 31st Street. The tofu was so soft; it almost melted in my mouth. The shrimp and shellfish were plentiful and fresh. The oysters, clams and mussels gave the broth a very strong "seafood" flavor. I did not find much beef in my soup except for some ground beef at the bottom of my bowl. Next time, I'll skip the beef in my soup. The beef short ribs were good. It was marinated in a sweet sauce and the meat was very tender.


Rating

Food = 4; Value = 5; Service = 3; Atmosphere = 3


1 comment:

Gen said...

Cool place! Been there once and simply luv their tofu soup and the kalbi. :o)